Friday, April 08, 2005

Uh oh - 5 questions asked...

... by Patty-Jo and answered by me.

Here are the rules for the “Five Questions” meme.
1. Leave me a comment saying “interview me”. The first five commenters will be the participants.
2. I will respond by asking you five questions.
3. You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.
(Write your own or borrow some.)

1. How and when did you meet your fiancée? What attracted you to her?

Well, we met at…. work. It’s true – an office romance that has lasted over 3 years now. However, it was just about 8 months after we met when we started dating. Why you ask? She was an intern for that time who appeared, by all indications, to plan on returning to Timbuktu, Alaska after her internship was up. I had already done the long distance thing in the past and was not going to even consider playing that again. When the internship was up the company offered her a permanent position, she accepted and I asked her out a week or so later. She first said, “No,” but she claims it was because she had to take a friend to the airport that night. At the same time she was shocked I asked her out because she was under the impression I had a girlfriend already. The Windows background on my computer was this picture of Audrey Tatou of Amelie fame – the Babe did not know who she was and assumed it was a picture of my “girlfriend”. Anyway, the Babe found a clever way to convince me to ask her out again a week later and it went from there. Our first date was to see Amelie and that’s when she recognized Audrey as the girl on my computer – the Babe was relieved.

So, what attracted me?! Uh, you’ve seen her – SHE’S A FRIGGIN’ BABE! Oh, and a Christian (a real one) can do a good bit of discernment of whom other Christians are. My intuition did not let me down in the least bit.

2. What inspired your passion for log homes?

Hmm – I’m not sure I’d call it a passion, per se. Quite frankly, I’m the kinda guy that if it was just me I could roam the World over. I’ve done a bit of it, already. Problem is it’s not just going to be me. The Babe will need a nest and she deserves it, so I’ve got to do my best to provide that for her. In light of that, if I’m going to have a place of my own I want it to be something I’ve put together with my own hands, sweat, blood and tears – for a number of reasons.

1) Satisfaction of completing a large project

2) Satisfaction of living in the home you built (as well as customizing)

3) Saving loads of dough by DIY and staying away from a 30-year mortgage.

4) Learning untold number of lessons and skills

5) Having something to do

But why “log”? I wouldn’t say it is necessarily “log” that is important, either. Yes, it is beautiful and has wonderful character, but I certainly would not recommend ANY log home. In fact, if it was not for the process I learned in class I’d steer FAR away from any other log home – I’d heard horror stories from people regarding their log
homes. The good thing is the Babe wants a log home and I’ve learned the best way to give it to her. So, really, the inspiration for the log home is the Babe.

3. How did you learn about Jesus?
Mom and Dad started the process, but I’ve got to say that most things I know about Him come from scripture, the Holy Spirit and conversations with other Christians. Oh, and not to mention the absolute fortunate life that I have lived – He has ALWAYS been good to me. It astounds me every time I think about it. How was I picked to be born a U.S. citizen? HOW?!
4. Do you have a "hero"? Who is it? Why?
I’ve never really had A hero. Growing up I was convinced my destiny was to play for the Seattle Seahawks, so during that time the persons I most looked up to were Steve Largent and Jim Zorn. Ironically, the Babe and I attend the same church Jim and his family do. Hey, how many people can say they’ve had the door opened for them by their childhood “hero” 20-years later?
5. Cats, dogs or livestock?
Dogs, dogs and dogs – big dogs. I HATE cats (sorry Lion) – hate ‘em! Problem is, cats like me. Sometimes it gets ugly. Sadly, when I hear stories about cats that have gone through some sort of torture my first reaction is of delight. Then I think about the cruel soul who inflicted it on the cat and wonder what would drive them to such violence. Still, cats SUCK! Yeah, I said it – WHAT?!
I do well around the farm, too.